Friday, November 2, 2012

Allergies Confirmed

Well, my suspicions were right. Mills is allergic to eggs and cow's milk.....and peanuts, whole wheat, strawberries, almonds, chocolate, beef, and baker's yeast. We tested for 37 different food allergens and I know we'll have to go back for more before long. I was really nervous about the appointment and what it would be like for little Mills. Thankfully, he did amazingly well. He didn't start crying until they were nearly 3/4 of the way through with the prick test (37 pricks!), so it wasn't complete torture for me. Egg and peanuts were by far the most severe reaction so we will be extra diligent in keeping those out of his diet and as far away as possible. Cow's milk was another big one, which is really sad because we love yogurt, cheese and ice cream around here. And wheat is just REALLY inconvenient! The others vary in severity, mostly being mild-moderate. This news has been a pretty big pill to swallow. It is life changing in lots of ways. I'm praying that he will outgrow most of these allergies eventually, but in the meantime, I'm on the hunt for new foods/recipes that are Mills-safe. I have so many concerns though. Will we ever be able to eat out? What will he eat for snacks? Will he get enough nourishment? Will he be safe at school or others' houses? I have to stop myself and just remember that we will figure these issue out with time. I know the Lord will walk us through this.
 A few minutes after the pricks. We had to wait 15 minutes. Those little whelps got a lot bigger!
Daddy helping distract

1 comment: