Saturday, October 15, 2011

Mills' Birthday

The day started off very early. Alex and I left the house a little before 5 am and headed to the hospital.
 last belly picture

I got situated in my labor and delivery room and they started the induction around 6:30. I started contracting very easily and wasn't in much pain. Then at 8:30, Dr W. came and checked me. I was about 4 cm and 80-90% effaced, so he went ahead and broke my water. When my next contraction came, I realized I needed my epidural ASAP! My contractions had gone from uncomfortable and mildly painful to EXTREMELY painful in a matter of seconds. The next 15 minutes or so were miserable. I was having such frequent contractions and my body was tingling and shaking from the pain, so Dr. W. had the nurse turn off the Pitocin. Soon thereafter, the anesthesiologist arrived and brought me relief. I'm telling you, Pitocin is brutal! When my water broke with Perry, I wasn't on Pitocin. Those contractions were painful, but they were in no way as severe as these. Anyways, after a while, my nurse came in to check on things and realized she never turned the Pitocin back on. I was contracting away in a good pattern, so she didn't resume the drip and I just labored naturally (with pain medication, of course) until Mills was born. I was so thankful that everything went smoothly and that Mills entered the world as a big, healthy boy!
 What a wonderful moment!!
Alex walked out to the waiting area to share the news. Perry was happy to see his Dada.
Happy Birthday!
We were able to spend a little time with the baby in the room, but they ended up taking him to the nursery for observation since his respirations were a little rapid at times. He checked out just fine, but because of the time it took to get him back down to my room, Perry missed meeting him. I'm so sad we didn't get any pictures of the four of us that night. 

Perry was so sweet to bring me flowers and balloons.
The following day, Perry came up to the hospital and got to meet his baby brother. He was excited and interested in the baby and was so sweet with him!
 Perry had to immediately call all his friends and tell them about the baby.
 The first of many kisses!
I really cherish those first couple days we spent bonding with our sweet baby Mills.

No comments:

Post a Comment