Wednesday, December 14, 2011

New Orleans and Natchez

Laissez les bon temps rouler!
Alex, Mills and I headed down to New Orleans last Thursday for a couple nights (Perry got to stay back home with Mae Mae). We stayed at a beautiful hotel-Hotel Monteleone-in the French Quarter. Alex was invited to the Chevron Christmas reception on Thursday evening and had plans for several other dinners and get-togethers with industry folks. I joined him for all the Thursday evening events. We started at the Chevron reception and then went to the Palace Cafe for a lovely dinner hosted by Calumet (Dad and Alex). Dinner was excellent and was especially enjoyable since it was our first night out without kids since Mills was born. We had the sweetest babysitter (a friend of my sister) at the hotel with Mills. We stayed out super late--late for us, not by New Orleans standards. When I got back to the hotel to pump, I realized I had left some very important things in Shreveport! I was freaking out!! I had just missed two feedings and could do nothing about it. I'll spare you the details and just say that I had to resort to very primitive methods. Friday morning we slept in and then moseyed around the Quarter before Alex and Dad went to their lunch function. New Orleans is by far one of the most fun cities to walk, just not with a stroller! There are steps and stairs everywhere and the ground has so many bumps and potholes. I can't believe the settlers didn't think about that.
 Royal Street
St. Louis Cathedral
Mills and I were on our own for lunch and thereafter. He snoozed while I ate; and then we did some sightseeing.
 Cafe du Monde
 I told him this was the first and last time he would ever see Bourbon Street.
Alex had dinner plans and it was too cold to get out with Mills, so I ordered room service and chilled out. It was actually quite nice to have such a quiet evening.

Mills was all tuckered out and ready for bed too!
On Saturday we left N.O. and headed to Natchez for my little girls trip. In college my closest friends and I would spend a couple of nights in Natchez at Virginia and Joanna's houses right after school let out for Christmas and before we all headed our separate ways for the holidays. It had been too many years since we had done something like that, so I initiated a little reunion. Only about half of our regular group could come. Those who weren't there physically were certainly with us in spirit and memories! Our agenda was pretty much the same this year as in years past. We shopped around town in the afternoon, had Fat Mamas margarita's, hung out and visited at the house, and enjoyed a nice dinner at Pearl Street. It was a quick trip, but so worth it! I love getting to see old friends and I love these girls!
2011-Lindsey, Virginia, Sarah D (a sweet friend of the Natchez girls), Joanna and me.
I'm not 100% sure about the years, but here's a blast from the past....
2001-me, Katharine, Lindsey, Beth, Virginia, Joanna
2002-Claire (Virginia's sister), Ashley, V, Linds, Beth, K, me
My all time favorite Natchez pic--another one from 2002. Same girls as above plus Jo and Mauree
2003-K, Ash, V, Linds, Jo, me, Beth
James Jackson, Connor McNeel and Mills
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...Natchez holds a special place in my heart...mostly because of these girls and our times together. 
Alex and I had a great trip, but by Sunday we were eager to get home to Perry. He was completely content and happy while we were away; however, we could tell he was excited to see us too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment